What's this all about?
What is the 'Bioecomony'?
The bioeconomy is all around us! It’s all the parts of the economy that rely on living, biological sources. Anything from animals, plants, micro-organisms (and their waste) that we can use to produce the things that society needs. That’s why we’ve created this map, to allow you to explore how the bioeconomy is working for us all across Ireland. From your home and neighbourhood, to the coast and countryside.
But why should we care about the bioeconomy?
Well, because if we want our place on this earth to be sustainable long-term, we need to move away from a petrochemical-based economy, to a bio-based one. Not only is crude oil limited in supply but it is changing our climate and enacting chaos in the natural systems which we all depend on. The more we can rely on environmentally-friendly, renewable, bio-based sources, the better our chances of survival will be. And just like all natural systems, the bioeconomy needs to be ‘circular’, producing no waste and feeding everything back into an infinitely-looped process. It can sustainably make the world go round!
The bioeconomy is our future. It’s stability and security, environmental protection, new jobs and a better quality of life for all living things on this planet. Now it’s time for you to learn more about it!
What is this map all about?
This map takes you into 7 locations including your home, your neighbourhood, the farm, the coast, the forest, the biorefinery and the warehouse, all to tell you how the bioeconomy fits into the story of everyday life.
We hope that this opens your eyes to what the bioeconomy is, why it's so important, and how you can personally help shape a more positive tomorrow.
How do I use the map?
All you need is the ability to click a mouse (or use a finger if you're on a touch screen device). Simply choose a location to visit, and explore each learning point by looking for the pulsing dots. When you've finished looking around one location, tap the Ireland logo to return to the main map, and explore the next area.
Once you've explored each area, check out the 'More info' section for ideas and resources to help you make positive change.
Who made this?
This wonderful exhibit has been produced by the Irish Bioeconomy Network and designed and built by the creative team at Shy Guys Studios.
Find out more about the Irish Bioeconomy Network on our website: irishbioeconomy.com
Want to do more?
Everyone has their part to play, no matter how small. If we all did a little we would achieve a lot. Here are some handy links to find out even more information about topics highlighted in this Bioeconomy Map:
You can have your opinions on the bioeconomy heard by the government, by simply submitting your ideas to the ‘Creating Our Future’ website.
Increase your knowledge by visiting the BiOrbic website, which is full to the brim with all sorts of information about Bioeconomy including research, policy, news, events and more!
Reducing your impact
- MyWaste and Repak: Improve your recycling skills
- Library of Things: Set up, volunteer at or use a library of things
- No Waste app: Reduce food waste
- Grow it Yourself: Grow your own veg
- Community Gardens: Join one or start your own
- Terracycle: Recycle the non-recyclables
Reducing your waste
- Switcher: Switch to renewable energy
- Cora Ball: Reduce microfibers going down the drain
- Cycle to Work Scheme: Cycle to work or school
- Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland: Investigate funding and grants
- EU Ecolabel: Information about environmentally friendly high quality products and where to find them
- Ecover: Information about ‘clean ingredients’.
- Showa’s Nitrate Gloves: ‘Single-use’ doesn’t have to be a dirty word with these biodegradable gloves.
- RSPO: The roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil.
- Marine Institute: find out about marine research and development.